The Magic Lantern (TML) has been published four times a year since 2014, offering a lively mixture of Society news, current events in the world of the projected image and research-based articles on every aspect of optical history.
Society members receive each issue by post as soon as it is published. The issues are also created as PDF files, which are available here for searching, viewing and downloading.
The eight most recent issues are only available to Society members (sign in to the Members’ Area for access), while earlier issues are made available to all.
Latest issue: No. 36 (September 2023)
- » Martin Gilbert, Edmund Henry Wilkie: a voyage of discovery
- » Magic Lantern Society notice board
- » Pippa Stacey, Through the looking glass
- » James Burgess, How the magic lantern (basically) saved our drama group
- » Eleonora Paklons, Societal science and macabre magic: the lantern performances of George R. Tweedie
- » Richard Feltham, From the Chair
- » Mike Smith, The art of shadows
- » Magic lanterns, shadows and illusions
- » Yoriko Iwata, New lanternists are most welcome!: Mitsue Ikeda's magic lantern event in Yao
- » A little European magic
- » The four seasons
- » Mary Ann Auckland, All at sea!
- » Mary Ann Auckland, Summer meeting of the Magic Lantern Society: Lacey Green, Buckinghamshire, Saturday 22 July 2023
Search for items in: TML only TML and NMLJ
Browse all issues of TML: